Just before the New Year I bought a packet of fresh cranberries which until today had been sat in the fridge. I knew I wanted to try making some muffins with them. I thought I would probably go for cranberry and white chocolate as this is a combination of flavours I like but after some research I found the recipe for these blueberry and cranberry crumb muffins which looked interesting (and also vaguely healthy given they’re packed full of fruit!) It is an American recipe from a blog called ‘Oh Sweet Day!’ which you can find here. You’ll need cups or alternatively if you’re going to convert the measurements I find this page from Delia’s website handy. The batter is quite thick but don’t let this disconcert you! The crunchy crumble topping makes a nice contrast to the fruity, moist muffins. I made 15 muffins from this mixture.
2 cups and 1 tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (softened)
3/4 cup caster sugar (I used golden)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup blueberry
1 cup cranberry
1) Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Line your muffin tins with paper cases.
2) In a large bowl sift together the 2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
3) In a bowl cream the butter using an electric whisk until it is light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until it is well combined and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until just blended.
4) Slowly add half the flour mixture and mix until just blended (I did this by hand using a wooden spoon). Add the milk and mix until just blended. Slowly add the remaining flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula (A word of warning – I found this quite tough going as the batter is quite thick in consistency).
5) Toss the berries with 1 tablespoon of flour and gently fold into the batter.
6) Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cases and set aside.
7) In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients and rub together with your fingers until you have a crumble-like consistency.
8) Sprinkle about a tablespoon of topping on top of each muffin.
9) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown on top.
10) Allow to cool and then enjoy!