I’m a bit behind on blog posts at the moment. Life seems to have been a bit manic but I’m looking forward to the next week which is the lull before the storm of Christmas. It’s apt that I’m posting them today as it is National Cookie Day! I made these a couple of weeks ago as I kept on wanting to make some cookies and these were easy and I had all the ingredients in the cupboard and fridge. This is a Jo Wheatley recipe from her second Home Baking book.
This is an easy recipe to whip up. The recipe states it will make 10-15 cookies. I can’t remember how many cookies it made but think it was slightly more than this. I think I did slightly over bake them as they were crunchier than I would have liked – they do harden up after coming out of the oven so if you’re looking for a chewier cookie don’t let them turn too brown! You will need 2-3 baking sheets lined with baking parchment.
200g unsalted butter (softened)
325g soft brown sugar
2 large eggs (beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
400g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of sea salt
70g dark chocolate (chopped into small chunks)
70g milk chocolate (chopped into small chunks)
70g white chocolate (chopped into small chunks)
1) Preheat your oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
2) Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a free-standing mixer until pale, light and fluffy (if you don’t have a free-standing mixer you can use an electric hand whisk).
3) Gradually add the beaten egg, mixing well between each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, add the vanilla and mix again.
4) Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into the bowl and mix again until thoroughly combined.
5) Chop the chocolate and fold into the cookie dough.
6) Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to scoop out the dough in even-size mounds. Place 3-4 cookies on each baking sheet (making sure you allow space for them to spread out as they cook).
7) Bake the cookies in batched on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and sharply bang the baking tray on a work surface to deflate the cookies and then return for a further 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
8) Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks until cold.